Monday, March 8, 2010

Caye Caulker, a place beyond words

On Friday afternoon, the 5 of us girls took a water taxi from Belize City to Caye Caulker, a beautiful 2 mile island full of white sand, waterfront villas, majestic views and where no cars were allowed.  People got around by walking barefoot (we didn't), riding bikes and driving golf carts.


On the way to Caye Caulker,  our water taxi had engine problems and literally stopped in the middle of the ocean.  Since the announcement was made in Kriol, we had to ask some of the students onboard to explain what had happened.  Apparently the motor broke down and 2 other rescue boats had to pick us up.  It was definitely an adventure, but we were all trembling as we had to crawl from one boat to another.  They literally parked the boats inches away from each other, and we had to walk from window to window.  Like this: 


When we got to Caye Caulker, we were so relieved to be back on land we took pictures at the dock:




Then we settled into our hotel and ventured into the main street. Our first stop was a delicious restaurant and bar with 2 for 1 pina colada deals.  Our entire group took advantage of that: 


I even double fisted: 


Then on Saturday, 6 people in our group went snorkeling while 2 others went diving.  As you already know, the coral reef in Belize is the second biggest in the world and it was simply amazing.  I wish I had pictures of the actual reef, but I wasn't smart enough to buy an underwater camera.  Check us out in our wet suits:




I'm not sure what Josh was doing but his wet suit didn't make it to my camera =(


After snorkeling, we watched the awesome sunset: 


Had the most exquisite dinner ever (that Di can do a better job explaining), partied in a tree house till the early hours of the morning, and woke up early to watch the sunrise:


A few hours later, I had to pack my bags and head out to catch the first water taxi.  Everyone was all so great and sweet that they all walked me from the hotel to make sure I got safely on the boat.




Goodbyes are never fun, and this was among the toughest.  This really was one of the best 2 weeks of my life, and the group made it all the more special.  

3 comments:

Diane T. said...

You're UNBELIZABLE MILEA!! I miss you already. Great reflection and photos. Although I was there experiencing all of it with you, you put the experience in to words so well. =)

Bevy said...

Your posts are awesomely written, Ate Glo! The pictures do paint a thousand words, but still not enough to describe the amazing time we've shared during our Belize adventures! I love both of you chinagyals!

Unknown said...

Look at the water pictures again. Who can make out the dorsal fin ... just kidding! What made your blogs much more impactive is they were composed DURING your trip. Many do so AFTER so the freshness is less. Here's to your reflections and prayers about your Belize stay after your return to the U. S. of A.! Thank you for taking time to write in the midst of busyness.